John Peterson was born in Holland in 1825. He came to British Columbia in l862 and established himself with headquarters at Kamloops as a packer of supplies for the Cariboo and Thompson Valley. In 1868 he pre-empted 320 acres and purchased another 320 acres of what is now the present townsite of' the City of Kamloops. At one time he owned all the property east of lst Ave. and south of Lorne Street within the present City limits. In 1885 be sold his ranch to the syndicate or Ward Mara and Pooley for a townsite. He then established himself on a ranch between the present City and Jacko Lake where be lived until he was over eighty years or age. He was first to apply the name Kamloops generally to the area now occupied by the City. As the original pre-emptor of the townsite of Kamloops, John Petersonís contribution to the early history of the area should be remembered. and it for this reason that the School was named for him.
The first Junior High of this district has been built on the southern slope of the hills overlooking the city and the entrance to the North Thompson Valley. This newly completed building is a source of pride to the community as it combines the latest in school architecture with the latest in facilities. The building with its reduced window space has been laid out into four areas: the teaching block, the shops and cafeteria, the combined auditorium and gymnasium with the attached combined shower and washroom facilities and the administrative block. Adequate p1aying grounds and a large playing area are located at the rear of the school.
Most of the furnishing in the art room, lunch room, music room, library and the offices has been made by the Maintenance Department of the school district.
Official Opening Programme